The Professional Nurse Advancement and Recognition Program
rewards registered nurses (RNs) for going above and beyond their
job expectations. It is a career advancement program focused on
achievements in Transformational Leadership, Structural
Empowerment, Exemplary Professional Practice and New Knowledge,
Innovations and Improvements. This program provides a framework for
self directed growth.
Recognition of professional nursing
practice is achieved as a nurse progresses from novice to
- Novice nurses have minimal or no professional experience.
- Advanced beginners have some professional experience and may be
transferring to a new practice setting.
- Proficient nurses are board certified in their nursing
- Experienced nurses consistently demonstrate mastery of the
- Accomplished nurses are role models and consistently
demonstrate mastery of the nursing process, critical thinking
skills, and often are sought as resources.
- Expert nurses demonstrate the most complex critical thinking
skills and professional nursing practice, frequently are sought as
resources by all members of the healthcare team, and serve as role
models and clinical leaders.