The Hospice Bereavement Program offers assistance to bereaved families in working through the grief process. Hospice maintains regular contact with family members for 13 months. Care is provided through contacts and support groups. The Bereavement Program also offers a Memorial Service each year to honor the memory of our loved ones.
Lourdes Hospice has an array of different services available through the bereavement program. Some of the services are available to any one who has lost a loved one, while others are for those who have lost a loved one through Lourdes Hospice care.
The following services are offered:
Lourdes Hospice can offer up to four short term individual counseling sessions for those who have lost a loved one in the Lourdes Hospice program.
Individual sessions can take place at your home, in the community or at the Lourdes Hospice office. If you are looking for individual sessions and have not lost a loved one through Hospice please contact Lourdes Hospice at 607-584-9184 for a referral.
Lourdes Hospice offers several bereavement support groups. These groups are open to anyone who has experienced a loss. Lourdes Hospice offers monthly drop-in, eight week, and holiday groups. Groups are held at our Vestal and Owego offices. For a complete support group schedule please contact 607-584-9184.
- East Drop-In Group: This group is open to anyone who has experienced the loss of a loved one. The East Drop-In Group meets the first Wednesday of the month from 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM at Lourdes Hospice, 4102 Old Vestal Road, Vestal, NY.
- West Drop-In Group: This group is open to anyone who has experienced the loss of a loved one. The West Drop-In Group meets the last Thursday of the month from 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM at Lourdes Hospice West, 231 Main Street, Suite 110, Owego, NY.
- Men's Only Drop-In Group: This group is open to any male who has experience the loss of a loved one. The Men's Only Drop-In Group meets the second Tuesday of the month from 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM at Lourdes Hospice, 4102 Old Vestal Road, Vestal, NY.
- Widow's Only Drop-In Group: This group is open to any woman who has experienced the loss of a spouse or significant other. The Widow's Only Drop-In Group meets the first Monday of the month from 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM at Lourdes Hospice, 4102 Old Vestal Road, Vestal, NY.
- Eight Week Bereavement Group: This group is open to anyone who has lost a loved one. This group follows a curriculum with a handout each week and requires an eight week commitment. Registration is required to attend this group. The Eight Week Bereavement Group is held from 2:30 PM - 4:00 PM or from 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM at Lourdes Hospice, 4102 Old Vestal Road, Vestal, NY. Please call 607-584-9184 to register. A list of session dates is available on our Events page.
Please call Sarah Hopkins, LMSW at 607-584-9184 for more information or to register for a group. If Binghamton City Schools are closed or close early for weather related circumstances, the group meeting is cancelled. If the meeting day falls on a holiday, please call 607-584-9184 for the rescheduled date.
Children and Adolescents
Lourdes Hospice can offer up to four short term individual counseling sessions for those children and/or adolescents who have lost a loved one through Lourdes Hospice. Lourdes Hospice offers Hope for Kids support groups for any child or adolescent who has experienced a loss. For a schedule of groups please contact 607-584-9184.
Lourdes Hospice can make referrals for longer term individual counseling through private counselors and community agencies in Broome and surrounding counties. Referrals can be made for anyone who has experienced a loss-not just those who lost a loved one through Lourdes Hospice.
Lourdes Hospice offers educational programs on grief, loss and bereavement to the community. Presentations that have been made in the past include: "Getting through the Holidays", "When Professionals Grieve" and "How to talk to your Child/Adolescent about Grief". Presentations can be tailored to fit the needs of your audience.
Please contact 607-584-9184 to schedule a presentation.
Contact Sarah Hopkins, LMSW at 607-584-9184 for more information about bereavement services.