4102 Old Vestal Road, Vestal, NY 13850
Phone: 607-798-5692 • 800-659-2416
231 Main Street, Owego, NY 13827
Lourdes Hospice: The Compassionate Journey
Lourdes Hospice has helped individuals with terminal illnesses live life to its fullest, up to the final moment since 1980. It is about receiving comfort and care when a cure is no longer possible. We focus specifically on comfort, dignity, and pain control by responding to the symptoms, needs and wishes of patients and their families. Our goal is to help each patient live each day to its fullest enabling them to remain in a familiar and supportive environment surrounded by people they love and possessions they cherish.
Who Benefits from Hospice?
Hospice serves patients that are no longer pursuing curative treatments and are focused on comfort care. This includes adults and children in the last few months of life. New York State Residents of Broome, Tioga, Chenango, and Delaware Counties are eligible for services. Families also benefit from Hospice services.
Who are the members of the Hospice team?
Hospice is a compassionate team of professionals consisting of a Medical Director, a patient's own Primary Care Physician, Registered Nurses, Social Workers, Spiritual Care, Hospice Aides, and Volunteers. Our team uses state of art technology to provide the highest quality services and care.
How can I or my loved one receive Hospice care?
Anyone can make a referral to Hospice. Contact the Hospice office at 607-798-5692 for more information about admission.
Individuals are admitted who have prognosis of 6 months or less and is not limited to cancer. Endstage Cardiac, Congestive Heart Failure (CHF), Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Alzheimer's and Diabetes are just a few of the many diagnosis' a patient may have.
The patient, family and physician seek comfort measures instead of aggressive, curative therapies.
The patient needs a family member or friend who can act as a "Primary Care Person" who coordinates patient care and supervision 24 hours a day, seven days a week when the patient cannot be left alone.
Care is provided in a number of different settings including:
- a patient's private residence (this includes home, boarding home, and adult care facilities)
- eleven contracted skilled nursing facilities in Broome and Tioga Counties including:
- Good Shepherd Fairview Home, Inc.
- Ideal Senior Living Center
- Absolut Care of Endicott
- Susquehanna Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Vestal Nursing Center
- Willow Point Nursing Home
- Riverview Manor Nursing Home
- Broome Developmental Center, Glenwood Road, Binghamton
- Inpatient Units for Symptom Management
|Binghamton General||Memorial 3, Memorial 6|
|Wilson Medical Center||South Tower 5|
|Susquehanna Nursing and
For additional information on Hospice services in any setting, contact a Nurse Manager at 607-798-5692.
- Most private insurance including HMOs and Managed Care Organizations have some form of Hospice Benefit.
- A Patient Assistance Program is available for those without Hospice Benefit or without insurance who qualify.
Hospice volunteers provide a wonderful caring service of helping patients and their families during a difficult and challenging time in their lives.
A thirty hour comprehensive training and a personal enrichment course if required for all volunteers and will provide the necessary understanding and skills.
If You Possess… Respect and reverence for life, maturity, a positive outlook, sensitivity, compassion, empathy, flexibility, a sense of humor and the willingness to help others… Then our Hospice patients need you.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Bettye Canestaro, Hospice Volunteer Coordinator at 607-584-9159 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hospice staff, volunteers, and advisory board members are available to speak to community groups, churches, or health care providers.
- Program topics may include but are not limited to: End of Life Issues and Care, Pain Management, Dealing with Death and Dying, Dealing with Grief, Hospice Services in a facility, and Hospice Volunteerism.
- Presentations are created to fit the attendees' needs and interests and questions are always welcome.
- To schedule a speaker, contact Lourdes Hospice at 607-798-5692.
To schedule a speaking engagement, please call Beth Hickey at 607-584-9145.
4102 Old Vestal Road
Vestal, NY 13850
231 Main Street
Owego, NY 13827